Somers Park Methodist Church
The History of S.P.A.
Somers Park Avenue Methodist Church had its beginnings in the 1880’s with house groups meeting in Malvern Link. Numbers grew and by 1902 the land on which the present church stands was purchased. By 1906 enough funds had been raised to begin building work and in October 1907 the “old” building was opened. There were at the time only about 20 members. Though this number grew, the first World War saw setbacks, but in the 1920’s the church was thriving and had a large Sunday School - in 1928 over 150 pupils.
By 1930 it was decided that the “new” church envisaged by the first trustees, should go ahead. With hard work and generous grants from the Methodist Church Connexion the new church was able to open in April 1936. In 1949 a pipe organ was installed but by 1986 it had to be replaced by the present Allen electronic organ. Meanwhile further building work joined up the two main buildings and added a primary room, kitchen and toilets (1960/61).
Until 1936 the minister at Lansdowne Crescent had oversight of Somers Park Avenue Church. From 1936 until 1953 it had its own Supernumerary Minister, but contraction of the circuit and the loss of a minister led to the pre 1936 situation again.
The church currently has a membership of 60+ with the number of adherents lifting the total to nearly 100. The church has a small but active Junior Church. It has a Ladies Club, house groups and regular games evenings. Each year at the end of August a very successful Holiday Club is held for a week. The church is active in Women’s Network (raising money for World Missions), the Bible Society and other local ecumenical activities. Somers Park Avenue is also a Fair Trade Church.